RE: [Condor-users] Running MATLAB on Condor

Thanks for the info.

Bill Patterson

From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of bgore@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 3:44 PM
To: condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Condor-users] Running MATLAB on Condor

This may not directly answer your question, but is a method for accessing licensed seats with Condor.

You can take advantage of the STARTD_CRON feature to run a program periodically on a Condor host. It is possible to determine what software is installed on a machine (ie: for Windows, you can query the WMI -- there's even a Perl module for doing so). If a given package is found, you can publish that fact (and even the package's version number if you want) as a Machine ClassAd attribute.

You can then tell your jobs to require machines w/that attribute. In this way you are just using machines that already have a license.

It's always a good idea to check with commercial software vendors to ensure they are ok w/this usage.

~B