Re: [Condor-users] Hello - and a question

On 5/12/05, Kewley, J (John) <j.kewley@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > So, the question:
> >
> > If I have "Executable = spss.exe"
> >
> > How do I specify that the job does not need to transfer the executable
> > from the linux box to the windows XP boxes in the pool? Since the
> > submitting machine is a different o/s to the executable pool.
>
> you could have
>  transfer_executable = false
> in your submit file
>
> or you could have a .cmd file as your "executable" which just calls the
> executable when it gets there.
>
> The latter may save problems in the long run where you cut and paste
> submit files and can't work out why an executable can't be found :-)
> (sorry if this last point isn't explained very well, but I have to go.)

To flesh out John's correct statement:

The executable can be a script or an exe (.cmd/.bat should work straight off).
The script can then invoke other commands or executables (which can be
local to the submitting machine or transferred over as "other" files)

It is generally advisable to 'play ball' with condor and supply an
exe/script from the remote machine which will be transferred and
execute.

This script can spot whether or not the required app is
available/accessible and give you a nicer meaningful error message if
it is not.

Remember that when running on windows the condor supplied user has
almost no access rights so you will need to either:

1) Make the applications accessible to Everyone on the execute computer
2) change the user to be a non default one
3) execute hacks within the launch script to runas

1) is the cleanest and most 'proper' way but may be an issue for your
security/systems guys and gals.

Matt