Re: [Condor-users] OwnerCheck: username?

Michael Yoder wrote:

Btw, when I run condor_configure, it will fail unless I specify --owner(which I set to condor).  I thought this was supposed to default to condor when run as root unless a condor user didn't exist on the local machine,in which case you  would be required to specify --owner.   Am I wrong?

condor_configure is a perl script, so you can snoop around in there.
How is it failing?  It looks like the perl is written to do what you
say.  Is getpwnam() failing?

Yeah, it's written to work this way.  I guess I thought it would automatically default to condor.   Wouldn't that make more sense? :)

I noticed that if I remove the setting of CONDOR_IDS, then when I start condor_master as root, none of the daemons start at all, although the
master starts as condor.  I can only get the daemons to start if I
explicitly set CONDOR_IDS to condor (which I thought it should also
default to).

That's very strange.  You shouldn't have to set CONDOR_IDS.  I think
something is not right with your usernames/authentication.  What do you
use?  /etc/passwd?  NIS?

We use /etc/passwd.

Also, I cannot get condor_off -master (or any condor_off call) to work. It says it sent the kill to the master, but no daemons are ever killed.  I can only kill them by running kill directly.  This is the case whether the daemons are running as root or as condor.  Any idea why?

This could be a permissions problem.  Is the machine you're doing the
condor_off from in the list specified by HOSTALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR?  Also,
a message to this effect ought to appear in the master's log file.

No, my machine is not in HOSTALLOW_ADMINISTRATOR, but since I was running it as root, I thought it would work.  Guess not.  Interesting that it doesn't give an error, but actually tells you it's working.  I see the error in the master log, although it doesn't mention "condor_off".

Thanks!

Cathy

Mike Yoder
Principal Member of Technical Staff