Re: [Condor-users] wishlist for notification messages

On 5/25/05, Dan Christensen <jdc@xxxxxx> wrote:
> David McBride <dwm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 21 May 2005, Derek Wright wrote:
> >

> >>the only potential snag is if
> >>people already are parsing the emails, they'll scream about changing
> >>the format.  all you pesky users make our job so much harder... ;)
> >
> > May I suggest that you leave the current human-readable text intact, and
> > instead add the various bits of metadata to the headers of the email
> > itself?
>
> I don't like this idea, as the main intent of my suggestion was
> to make the message more useful to a human.  For example, including
> the machine the job was last running on, and formating the command
> executed a bit more cleanly.
>
> While we are considering changes to the format, I think it would
> be nice to make it more easily parsable, but I don't regard this
> as the most important aspect of my suggestion.

Most all encompassing solution

Define expression like
JOB_[RESULT]_MESSAGE_FORMAT

where [RESULT] is one of SUCCESS|FAILURE etc..

allow reference in there of any of the running machines or the jobs
classad values via some $() like syntax.

Make the default be

"Your condor job $(Target.Executable) $(Target.Args) was killed by
signal $(Target.KillSignal)"

Or some such...perhaps with some $$(Target.ALL) uber macros for staing
all classad name value pairs in the job

Matt