Re: [Condor-users] Condor-g : Errorno 111

On May 27, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Nick LeRoy wrote:

On Fri May 27 2005 7:57 am, Vineet Chadha wrote:

I have been trying to configure condor-g for a project. I have
installed condor with SUBMIT only option. It means I should get only
condor_schedd and condor_master started when i run the command
condor_master. Checking the master log I get following errors : ( LOG
BELOW)
My questions is that since I have installed condor with submit only
option, why its trying to contact collector at port 9618.
Also, I don't want to create a user "condor" for my project.  how to
get rid of passwd_cache
error message. I have updated the config file with  user with  admin
access ( removed condor and added my own user ).

Let's start from the top. *All* Condor pools, including pools of a single
submit-only machine (such as yours) require a central manager -- a Condor
Collector and Negotiator. Without them, nothing else is functional.

That being said, there's nothing inherently special about the central manager
machine -- in the case of your machine, you just need to start the collector
and negotiator by adding them to the DAEMON_LIST, and make sure that
COLLECTOR_HOST points at them properly.

If you're not using match-making or Glide-In, Condor-G doesn't need a Collector or Negotiator. It doesn't hurt anything to run them, but if you prefer not to, just comment out the line that sets CONDOR_HOST in your config file and the errors should go away.

It also seems likely from your discussion that you've got some user confusion
going on. If I understand your post correctly, this will be a single user
pool, right (just a single submitter -- you). Normally, you can setup a
"personal Condor" which runs as just your normal user, and it'll talk to
itself quite happily.

With Condor-G, however, I think that Condor needs to run as root so that it
can read your host credential -- if it can't, Globus won't talk to it. And,
to do this, Condor needs a mortal user to do 99% of it's operation with, by
default "condor". The piece you're probably missing is CONDOR_IDS.
Basically, you set CONDOR_IDS=<uid>.<gid> . For example:
CONDOR_IDS=666.1666
will cause Condor to run with UID=666 and GID=1666.

It seems likely you've got some developer confusion going on. (Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

Condor-G does not need to be run as root. If you start Condor as an ordinary user, you should be able to ignore any messages about the passwd_cache. What are the messages you're seeing, by the way?

|            Jaime Frey            |  Public Split on Whether        |
|        jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx         |  Bush Is a Divider              |
|  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jfrey/  |         -- CNN Scrolling Banner |