[Condor-users] Need to have Condor not overload SMP machine

Background:  A LAN of 15 dual-cpu Windows XP machines, which because
we've turned on mult-threading in some of the BIOS, some (but not all)
appear as 4-cpu virtual machines.  When submitting a queue of 5, 4 jobs
get sent to one desktop machine, because Condor thinks each VM is
independent.  What we need is just one job per desktop machine
regardless of the number of VMs so the desktop machine doesn't get
overloaded.

It seems I could accomplish this by setting

NUM_CPUS = 1

in the condor_config file, but "it's use is not recommended."  So how
can I accomplish only 1 job per desktop machine?  If this is in the
archives a point to the date is fine...

TIA,

Ralph Finch, P.E.
Dept. of Water Resources