Re: [Condor-users] condor 6.7.6 load limit?

On 9/9/05, Bruce Beckles <mbb10@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Matt Hope wrote:
>
> > On 9/1/05, Jeffrey McDonald <jeffrey.mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
> >> However, one problem that remains is that none of the condor submitted
> >> jobs generate a load of more than 30% on the CPU that it is running on.
> >> This is regardless of whether the machine has interactive activity or
> >> not.    The net result is that jobs that take 20 minutes to run at a
> >> high priority take 4-5 hours.
> >
> > condor has nothing to do with this (assuming your machines have no
> > other significant tasks running on them in which case forcing the
> > processes to a higher priority could help)
> <snip>
>
> I beg to differ.  By default, under Linux, Condor will set the scheduling
> priority of the jobs it runs to 10.  Under most normal circumstances, the
> "default" scheduling priority of a job run "by hand" whilst logged into
> a machine would be 0 (unless the machine has been specially configured
> otherwise), and this could make a considerable difference.
>
> In fact, if the jobs are being running at a high scheduling priority (i.e
> less than 0), then if Condor runs the jobs at the fairly low scheduling
> priority of 10, the difference in run time could be *huge*.

Sorry I was not very clear, this was why I said "assuming your machines have no
 other significant tasks running on them ". I was assuming the linux
scheduler was not utterly useless at giving reasonable time to
something at 10 when nothing higher was running - my apologies if this
was incorrect.

Matt