From: Derek Wright [mailto:wright@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 8/17/2006 3:55 PM
To: Baggett, Douglas; Condor-Users Mail List
Cc: Koss, Joe; arodrige@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] Question concerning BOINC backfill and condor

On Aug 17, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Doug Baggett wrote:

> So Basically if I set up my local config file like the following below
> Condor will
[snip]

yes.

> This is pretty simple for LINUX boxes, but what is the correct
> procedure for
> windows boxes already running BOINC as a service background
> process? Should
> I uninstall BOINC on those boxes and then get the stand alone boinc
> windows
> executable, and then follow the same procedure for their config
> files? Or is
> there a way to use the current BOINC installation by just disabling
> their
> service in service manager and then having condor control it. (what
> do you
> recommend?)

condor is not yet smart enough to automatically talk to an existing
BOINC service and dynamically add/remove resources from BOINC's
control as needed.  so yes, for now, we recommend disabling the BOINC
service and configuring the backfill stuff to spawn/kill BOINC, just
like under unix.  same holds for folks using BOINC on macos via the
startup items menu stuff.

enjoy,
-derek