Re: [Condor-users] Windows jobs behave deifferently under Condor

At 11:57 PM 8/22/2006, Michael Jinks wrote:
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:02:51PM +1000, Philip Crawford wrote:

> 1. Is SPSSWIN.EXE going to create a Window, even a minimised one? Condor
> won't allow an application to run which creates a GUI window.

Yep, it does flash the SPSS worksheet on the screen briefly as it runs.
Guess that's our answer then.

Actually, Condor *will* run apps that create a GUI window. You just need to be certain that the application is batch-ready, i.e. that it will not pop open a window and then sit and block for some non-existent interactive user to click a button. [ you could use Winbatch or a similar tool to help out here as well ... ].

Sometimes GUI apps are more sensitive to environment variables and such then their non-GUI counterparts, so you may want to use "getenv=TRUE" in your submit file.

But, if that's the case, what's the story with the "use_visible_desktop"
setting on Windows?

By default, Condor will setup a separate non-visible workstation and desktop for GUI apps to use. If
  use_visible_desktop=true
in condor_config, then Condor will let the job pop open a window on the default visible (console) desktop. This is almost certainly not what you want esp for non-dedicated workstations, but can be very handy for debugging a problem.

Something I sometimes do to debug a job running in Condor on Win32 is
  a) change my executable in my submit file to be cmd.exe
  b) change use_visible_desktop=true in my condor_config
and then submit. After a couple moments a command window pops up on my screen with the same "environment" that Condor would use to run the job, so I try running my job interactively from the prompt to see if there are any obvious problems.

regards,
Todd

Todd Tannenbaum                       University of Wisconsin-Madison
Condor Project Research               Department of Computer Sciences
tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx                  1210 W. Dayton St. Rm #4257
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~tannenba      Madison, WI 53706-1685
Phone: (608) 263-7132  FAX: (608) 262-9777