Re: [Condor-users] writing hawkeye modules

On Monday 06 February 2006 5:33 pm, obi wrote:
> hello there,
>
> I'm interested in writing my own hawkeye module, to add informations to
> the classAD for a machine. So I added the following to the configuration
> file:
>
> STARTD_CRON_NAME = HAWKEYE
> HAWKEYE_JOBS = NWS::"/bin/cat":"10s"
> HAWKEYE_NWS_ARGS = "/home/graziano/test"
>
> there the file test has
> test = mayhem1
>
> In the StartLog I got
> 15:22:42 Cron: Initializing job 'NWS' (/bin/cat)
> but nothing showed up in the classAD (as per condor_status -l).

I'm not sure what was going wrong here, but, in any case, I'd strongly
reccomend that anybody using Hawkeye use the new configuration syntax.

It's possible that you've encounterred this bug:  If you have jobs specified
with the "old syntax" and the "new syntax", all jobs in the old syntax are
silently ignored.  This bug will be corrected in 6.7.17 when it's released
(but it'll log a warning in the log file about the use of the old syntax).

> I even tried what I thought it was a new syntax with
>
> STARTD_CRON_NAME = HAWKEYE
> HAWKEYE_JOBLIST = NWS
> NWS_EXECUTABLE = "/bin/cat"
> NWS_ARGS = "/home/graziano/test"
> NWS_MODE = "period"
> NWS_PERIOD = "10s"

I'll have to look at what the manual says, but the correct syntax should be
something like this:

STARTD_CRON_NAME = HAWKEYE
HAWKEYE_JOBLIST = NWS
HAWKEYE_NWS_EXECUTABLE = "/bin/cat"
HAWKEYE_NWS_ARGS = "/home/graziano/test"
HAWKEYE_NWS_MODE = "period"
HAWKEYE_NWS_PERIOD = "10s"

Notice the "HAWKEYE_" at the start of all of the NWS_ definitions.

Let me know if this doesn't help.

Also, to anybody else who might be reading this, don't use Hawkeye for 6.7.15
-- which got pulled because the Hawkeye (cron) mechanism was completely
broken.

-Nick

--
           <<< Why, oh, why, didn't I take the blue pill? >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project