Re: [Condor-users] Standard Universe blues...

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 12:59:31PM +0000, Angel de Vicente wrote:

> thanks for the suggestion. I would love to know how to get the standard universe
> without the shadow/IO abilities, anyone?

In the v6.7.x series, you can put
   want_remote_io=false
into your submit file.  Does this accomplish what you want?
>From the condor_submit man page (again, ver 6.7.x):

want_remote_io = <True | False>
This option controls how a file is opened and manipulated in a standard universe job. If this option is true, which is the default, then the condor_ shadow makes all decisions about how each and every file should be opened by the executing job. This entails a network round trip (or more) from the job to the condor_ shadow and back again for every single open() in addition to other needed information about the file. If set to false, then when the job queries the condor_ shadow for the first time about how to open a file, the condor_ shadow will inform the job to automatically perform all of its file manipulation on the local file system on the execute machine and any file remapping will be ignored. This means that there must be a shared file system (such as NFS or AFS) between the execute machine and the submit machine and that ALL paths that the job could open on the execute machine must be valid. The ability of the standard universe job to checkpoint, possibly to a checkpoint server, is not affected by this attribute. However, when the job resumes it will be expecting the same file system conditions that were present when the job checkpointed.

regards,
Todd