Re: [Condor-users] Standard Universe blues...

Hi Todd,

 > > thanks for the suggestion. I would love to know how to get the standard universe
 > > without the shadow/IO abilities, anyone?
 > >
 > In the v6.7.x series, you can put
 >    want_remote_io=false
 > into your submit file.  Does this accomplish what you want?
 > >From the condor_submit man page (again, ver 6.7.x):
 >
 > want_remote_io = <True | False>

 > This option controls how a file is opened and manipulated in a standard
 > universe job. If this option is true, which is the default, then the condor_
 > shadow makes all decisions about how each and every file should be opened by
 > the executing job. This entails a network round trip (or more) from the job
 > to the condor_ shadow and back again for every single open() in addition to
 > other needed information about the file. If set to false, then when the job
 > queries the condor_ shadow for the first time about how to open a file, the
 > condor_ shadow will inform the job to automatically perform all of its file
 > manipulation on the local file system on the execute machine and any file
 > remapping will be ignored. This means that there must be a shared file system
 > (such as NFS or AFS) between the execute machine and the submit machine and
 > that ALL paths that the job could open on the execute machine must be
 > valid. The ability of the standard universe job to checkpoint, possibly to a
 > checkpoint server, is not affected by this attribute. However, when the job
 > resumes it will be expecting the same file system conditions that were
 > present when the job checkpointed.

I'm not sure if this would be the solution, but in any case, until 6.7.x series
become stable we are stuck with 6.6.x. The local_files option looked like a good
choice, but only if transfer_input_files and transfer_output_files (or similar)
also worked, which I haven't managed to so far (in the standard universe)...

Cheers,
Angel de Vicente
--
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/