Re: [Condor-users] Using Condor (Windows) with Linux File Servers

I use the 'net use' command to map a drive from a windows machine to another
server.
It was a pain to get this working as the net command did not always work as
expected because of permission problems on the server side.

Note that you cannot test the net command by logging into a windows machine
and typing 'net use' as the logged-in user has a different set of
permissions to the condor-user.

You have to test the functionality of the 'net use' command with a simple
condor job that executes a batch file. Here is a simple batch file example:

=======================SNIP

c:\windows\system32\net use B: \\myserver.engineering.edu\condorshareddirec
passwordhere /USER:userthatcanaccessthedirectory /PERSISTENT:NO

dir B:

if exist D:\temp\testtype.txt del D:\temp\testtype.txt

if exist B:testtype.txt copy B:testtype.txt D:\temp\

if exist D:\temp\testtype.txt echo It copied successfully >>
%computername%.success

if NOT exist D:\temp\testtype.txt echo Failed to copy >>
%computername%.failed

=======================SNIP

Put a dummy file on the server called testtype.txt and fill it with junk
text like:
This is the file testtype.txt

The batch file will attempt to:
- map a drive B: to the server \\myserver.engineering.edu\condorshareddirec
and will connect with the
username: userthatcanaccessthedirectory
and
password: passwordhere

Make sure the path to the net command is correct (check where 'net' is
installed on the worker computer, not the submitting computer)

The batch file with list the directory of the drive which you should be able
to see in the output file.

- The batch file will check for the existence of the file testtype.txt on
the local machine's directory D:\temp (make sure this directory exists) and
if it already exists it will be deleted.

- The batch file will check for the existence of the file testtype.txt on
the server and if it exists, it will copy it from the server to D:\temp

- The batch file will check for the existence of the file testtype.txt on
the local machine's directory D:\temp (make sure this directory exists) and
if it exists a file will be created with the computer's name that the condor
job was executed... eg. computerA11.success

- If the file D:\temp\testtype.txt does not exist, a file will be created
something like computerA11.failed.

If you run the job hopefully you will see the file *.success returned from
your test job.

(I apologise if these instructions are somewhat simplistic, but too often I
read instructions that are vague.)