Re: [Condor-users] Checking .NET

On Thu January 12 2006 12:35 am, Anton Kucherov wrote:
> Hi All,
Hello,

> One of our programs that uses Condor needs .NET. Without .Net the
> program crashes. Currently, what I do is count the number of fails on
> each machine and if it fails more then X times I stop submitting to it
> (to prevent the software from using PCs that are not useful and thus
> easting computer power). But I'm looking for a better solution.
>
> Is there a way to check if .NET is installed on each executing machine
> (for example by using ClassAds) without making changes in Condor's
> configuration in each machine in the pool?
>
> I know how to do that by configuring each startd's cron capabilities,

This is what we would generally reccomend; I don't understand your objection
to it.  It's been used for this type of task in quite a few setups.

> but what I need is to do it as centralized as possible, preferably the
> change should be built into the company's software.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

> Another way of doing
> it centralized (but extremely non effective) is submitting a job that
> will check whether each executing machine  has Condor or not and then,
> according to the answers. Then the submit file will be changed
> dynamically according to the outputs. Of course that means LOTS of
> traffic.

How would this be preferable to using the cron mechanism?

> By the way, does anyone know if there is a way to change a job's
> requirements without removing it from the queue and resending it?

Look at condor_qedit

I hope this helps at least a bit...

-Nick

--
           <<< Welcome to the real world. >>>
 /`-_    Nicholas R. LeRoy               The Condor Project