Re: [Condor-users] How to add a Windows XP machine to an existing poolwith NFS?

Quoting Peter Troeger <peter.troeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > So far a I have a Condor pool set up with all Linux nodes, and they all
> > communicate through a NFS server. I would like to start adding Windows XP
>
> > machines to my pool but am pretty clueless to anything Windows does. Can
> > anyone please give me a idea of how to do this?
>
> If you want your Windows machines to communicate with the NFS server,
> you should use "Windows Services for Unix 3.5" (SFU), which is free for
> download. The package contains a NFS Client for Windows, which allows
> you to access NFS shares as Windows network drive. This demands a
> mapping from Windows user name to Unix UID/GID, which is handled by a
> central SFU server application. Start reading here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324055&sd=tech
>
> It might be easier to use Samba on your NFS server, in order to provide
> Windows network shares for the NFS exports.

Yeah, I figured that I would probably have to use SFU, so todays objective was
to install a NIS server on my head node to provide that mapping. I'm aware that
in the SFU package there is a server included. Hopefully all I'll have to use
from the SFU package is the NFS client. Thanks for the tip Peter I'll take a
look at Samba.

> > So far I've been searching around and Windows provides a "Services for
> Unix"
> > type of package however I'm not exactly sure which services I need to run
> if
> > my pool will hopefully in the end be running MPI applications.
>
> Using MPI in a heterogeneous environment demands an according MPI
> package.  I only know LAM/MPI and MP-MPICH for being able to do this,
> but there might be more.

Right, there are only certain versions of MPICH that condor supports. That is
another hurdle I'll have to scramble over when I get there.

Thanks for your help Peter

Danny