Re: [Condor-users] building sw with condor

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 05:01:57PM +0200, johann woeckinger wrote:
> dear all,
>
> i try to setup a condor grid to build our pretty complex sw system faster.
> the idea is to have something similar to "incredibuild"
> http://www.xoreax.com/ where a group of developers share their cpu cycles.
> our build env is completely gnu make based, i found optena's make
> http://condor.optena.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1884 but is this
> really the way to go?
> any hints?

We do the nightly builds of Condor with Condor - we submit a Condor job
for each platform, on a couple of different branches each night. We don't
try and parallelize the build itself.

If I were going to parallelize a single build with Condor, I would probably
use Condor as a resource manager for another system like distcc. I would
submit multiple 'distcc' jobs, which would then build a sort of virtual
distcc farm that would run the actual build. Condor would take care
of cleaning up after distcc ran, allocating resources among multiple
developers, etc. distcc would handle the actual building with considerably
less latency than trying to shoehorn individual 'cc' instances into Condor
jobs.

-Erik