Re: [Condor-users] Windows FORTRAN scratch files

On 6/2/06, Greg.Hitchen@xxxxxxxx <Greg.Hitchen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

We're having problems with a FORTRAN program that uses temporary scratch
files
(i.e. opened using STATUS='SCRATCH' and FILE= not specified). Under these
conditions
a file fort.nnn will be created in the system temp directory. We get the
following message
in the condor error log:

open: Permission denied
apparent state: unit 39 named \fort.392
lately writing sequential formatted external IO

I'm guessing that the problem is that the job is running as a user that
doesn't have enough
permissions to use the execute machines temp directory?

Can anyone confirm this?

This sounds extremely likely. What OS are you running on.

I don't know how FORTRAN programs determine where the temp dir is but
you could try altering you TMP or TEMP environment variable to point
to something like ./tmp (.\tmp for windows) so it writes to a subdir
of the working directory (this can be done by a wrapper script on the
job or via the condor submit.

A side effect of using a subdir of the condor directory is that the
files will not be transferred back (which I would guess is the desired
behaviour).

You may need to create said directory as part of your jobs
initialization code (I don't know if FORTRAN will create the subdir
for you if it doesn't exist)

Matt