[Condor-users] submit file strict syntax checking (was Re: Library access problem)

On 3/7/06, Erik Paulson <epaulson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 07:15:49PM -0800, Junaid N. Sahibzada wrote:
> >   enivornment =  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/nfs/mid/projects/Registration/vtkCISG/lib:/nfs/mid/projects/Registration/vtkCISG/tcl/vtkview/include:/usr/local/lib/vtk:/nfs/mid/projects/Registration/vtkCISG/lib:/nfs/mid/homes/sah006/bhautik
>
> environment is misspelled. Alas, condor doesn't complain when this happens.
>
> (Actually - we're thinking about changing it so it does complain when
> it sees a word it doesn't use - what it breaks is macros, right now you
> can do:
>
> some_missplledd_werd = foo
>
> executable = $(some_missplledd_werd)
>
> what we'd change it to is is
>
> set macro_name = macro_value
> executable = $(macro_name)
>
> And if condor_submit saw anything other than a keyword it knew, 'set', or
> '+', it would complain.
>
> There are a couple of options to make it backwards-compatiable with old
> submit files. Does anyone out there have strong feelings about this?)

Absolutely definitely yes!
I would love this functionality. would make the file much clearer and
reduce the need for me to hand check peoples submit files when they
are wrong.

I would suggest using a syntax of the form "use strict" or equivalent
in the submit file and once that is encountered you are forced to use
the correct syntax. Eventually you could phase this in as the default
behaviour and finally (if you no longer feel the benefit of supporting
the old code parse path obsolete it).

All for making this easier to read.

Slight issue with how you deal with some one doing something like

set foo = X

where foo is (or becomes) a keyword for the submit settings (not that
it wouldn't behave badly at the moment but you could handle it more
pleasantly in the new scheme)...

Matt