Re: [Condor-users] condor_history slow

On Mar 10, 2006, at 1:57 PM, Marco Mambelli wrote:

Sorry,
that was the binary, I copied the wrong line the log is 600MB (600K would
have been not even big...)
condor_hi 21351 root 3r REG 8,1 591370531 9224265 /opt/ condor-6.7.9/local.tier2-02/spool/history

schedd at the moment is quite free (~10 jobs running), but probably it is
the time that takes with a history file around 600MB.
I wanted just to have an idea of times experienced by other people.

That sounds typical. On one of our systems, condor_history took 50 seconds to search a 200MB history file.

Whenever you run condor_history, the schedd reads the entire history file to find the job ads. We've batted around ideas for creating an index for simple queries (specific job ids), but haven't implemented anything.

In 6.7.17, you can rotate the history file. You lose information about older jobs, but queries will be quicker. As you mentioned, quill is also an option for faster queries.

|           Jaime Frey           | I used to be a heavy gambler.     |
|       jfrey@xxxxxxxxxxx        | But now I just make mental bets.  |
| http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jfrey/ | That's how I lost my mind.        |