From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hrant P.
Hratchian
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 6:02 AM
To: Condor User's
Cc: Glen Ferguson
Subject: [Condor-users] IDLE jobs

We're experiencing something somewhat odd with Condor.  Presently,
all of our nodes are for production only (i.e., none of the machines
are used as workstations) and the START ClassAd on all machines is
statically set to TRUE.  The machines all have 2 processors and we
haven't tinkered with the virtual machine settings, so the number of
VM's per node is 2.

Here's the actual problem...Two jobs were sent to node-5.  The other
nodes in our cluster became saturated with jobs and the Condor
scheduler somehow sent another job to node-5.  When this happened the
status of the first job started on node-5 became "I" and the new job
had a status of "R".  As I understand things, once the scheduler
started the two jobs on node-5 a third job should NOT have been
allowed at all since there are only 2 virtual machines.  What am I
missing?

Thanks,
Hrant Hratchian

Hrant P. Hratchian, Ph.D.
E. R. Davidson Fellow
Department of Chemistry
Indiana University
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-7102
812.856.0829
hhratchi@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Liberty without learning is always in peril; learning without
liberty is always in vain."
John F. Kennedy