Re: [Condor-users] closing queues

> Can't you accomplish this by defining an "GRID8_ACCEPTING_SUBMISSIONS"

> flag in grid8's machine classad that is set to either "True" or
"False",
> and requiring users to add "Requirements =
(GRID8_ACCEPTING_SUBMISSIONS
> =?= True)" to their submit files?
>
> This way, users can submit jobs pretty much normally (except for the
> extra requirement in their jobs), and not have to worry about
submitting
> them in the held state, followed by condor_release'ing them once the
> machine starts accepting new jobs.  In the meantime, jobs that are
> already running on grid8 will continue running after
> GRID8_ACCEPTING_SUBMISSIONS has been set to "False" (i.e. I don't
think
> they have to deal with the negotiator once they start running - please

> correct me if I am wrong about this).

That would also work. To quote Larry Wall: There's more than one way to
do it.

In fact, you've just reminded me of a very nice schedd setting that
already exists that *may* make this feasible without requiring your
users to do anything at all: APPEND_REQUIREMENTS

See:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.8/3_3Configuration.html#12959.

To close your queue you can try:

condor_config_val -name <schedd> -set 'APPEND_REQUIREMENTS = "&& False"'
condor_reconfig -name <schedd>

What I'm not certain of is this: does APPEND_REQUIREMENTS work at submit
time or at negotiation time? If it's submit time than this is nice and
solves the problem. New jobs entering the queue have their requirements
set to False automatically by this setting, but existing jobs that are
already in the queue would be unaffected by this change.

The docs don't say when this appending of requirements is applied --
maybe someone from the Condor team can let us know?

- Ian