Re: [Condor-users] closing queues

Hi,

Can't you accomplish this by defining an "GRID8_ACCEPTING_SUBMISSIONS" flag in grid8's machine classad that is set to either "True" or "False", and requiring users to add "Requirements = (GRID8_ACCEPTING_SUBMISSIONS =?= True)" to their submit files?

This way, users can submit jobs pretty much normally (except for the extra requirement in their jobs), and not have to worry about submitting them in the held state, followed by condor_release'ing them once the machine starts accepting new jobs. In the meantime, jobs that are already running on grid8 will continue running after GRID8_ACCEPTING_SUBMISSIONS has been set to "False" (i.e. I don't think they have to deal with the negotiator once they start running - please correct me if I am wrong about this).

Your point about a feature that overrides job submission attributes sounds cool, and maybe this could be implemented as another implicit requirement that's added to jobs - i.e. whether or not a grid machine (i.e. startd) is willing to accept a new job, like the OpSys and Arch requirements are implicitly added now. Maybe it should be setup as an implicit requirement that you can't override, because you can with OpSys and Arch.

Speaking of which, I am still having trouble getting condor_config_val -rset ( or -set) working properly. This is the mechanism that (should) let me set/unset grid8's machine classad while condor daemons are running on it. Any feedback on that issue would be great.

Thanks,

 - Armen

Ian Chesal wrote:
Arnau,

If you have direct control over the tickets that are created to submit
jobs (i.e. your users are not writing their own submit tickets) you can
force new jobs entering the system to be submitted in the 'held' state.
These jobs are not considered for execution during the negotiation
cycles. You can then consider the scheduler "closed" when there are no
jobs in the idle or running state. This doesn't stop your users from
being able to submit jobs.
Of course if your users are writing their own submit tickets and calling
condor_submit themselves there's no way to enforce this. So lets turn
this into a feature request: can I get a schedd config setting that
forces incoming jobs to be held? I could use periodic_hold for this but
I'd rather not rely on a cron-type setting to take care of this. It
should be a submit-time setting. I could get even more generic with the
request: can I get a way to override job submission attributes at the
schedd? So no matter what the user says in their ticket, if they submit
to a particular schedd the schedd can dictate something different.
That'd be cool.

- Ian