Re: [Condor-users] Jobs Not Suspending

I have tried enabling the Desktop policy from the documentation:

3.6.10.4 Desktop/Non-Desktop Policy

It also has no affect on getting a job to suspend.

Ideas / Suggestions?

Thanks

Jim Summers wrote:
Also to note, these are just some very basic vanilla universe tests. But from what I have read thaey to should be suspended.

Thanks

Jim Summers wrote:
I need to get the values that condor is using. Such as, LoadAvg, CondorLoadAvg. I have set ALL_DEBUG to D_ALL, but I am not seeing the values be looked at by condor. I guess I could be following the wrong log file also. I am looking at StartLog.

I am still unable to get a job to suspend on a workstation, even using the default condor_config with the default UWCS policy.

Ideas / Suggestions?

Thanks

Jim Summers wrote:
Hello List,

I am doing some testing of condor on a small group of machines in one of our labs here. They are Dell Optiplex 620's running Linux (kernel 2.6.xx).

They have usb only keyboards and mice. Unfortunately condor can not detect activity from these devices and hence I can't get a job to suspend on this event.

So I thought I would test suspending based on CPU activity. I thought by lowering the HighLoad value to something very low, like .1, then that may cause a condor job to suspend pretty easily, when a user logs onto the machine either at the console or remotely and needs to run a non-condor job.

But that is not working. I have started a cpu intensive condor job and watched it go to 100% of cpu. Then launch several other non-condor cpu intensive jobs. The OS begins doing it's standard process management, but the condor job never actually suspends. I have let the condor job run for 2-10 minutes before launching the other processes.

Any ideas on what I am not configuring, or not understanding? Is there a parameter or something to set that would tell condor that these machines are desktops/workstations and not dedicated condor machines? I really need to have the condor jobs suspend and hand over the machine to the non-condor processes.

TIA

--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma