Re: [Condor-users] Condor multiple pools

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 12:21:18PM +0100, Cor Cornelisse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are setting up a cluster at our campus and since we've some experience
> with condor we plan on using it. The machines which will join the cluster
> are scattered throughout the building. Since there's not enough power /
> network connections available to fit them into one room, it comes down to
> small clusters of say 10 ~ 20 boxes, which have a connection to the
> internal network via NAT.
> At first we thought of creating seperate condor pools on all these
> subclusters and then use job flocking. However, we'd like to have the
> ability to use ALL machines for ONE big job. Job flocking can only migrate
> it's job from one pool to another if I'm correct.
> Condor glide-in looks a bit like overkill to me, since we'll then be
> running condor within condor.
> I've spend quite some time reading documentation and the only thing I
> could come up with is using GCB to create one big pool. However, this
> would severly affect the scalability. We might like to add an existing
> cluster in the future and if we would be using GCB, the existing cluster's
> configuration would have to be adapted to use GCB and join our pool.
> I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who would like to join multiple
> pools and still have the ability to have one job running over multiple
> pools. I must be overlooking something, can someone give me a hint in de
> right direction? I do understand condor is about HTC, and what I'm
> requesting is actually a HPC kind of thing, but does this mean I will have
> to go looking for something else instead of Condor?

Sound like VLAN might be a solution for you - allows to use the general
network infrastructure, and still keep the clusters separated from other
stuff... I'd ask the IT guys whether they can make this possible.

Cheers
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald * MPI Grav.Phys.(AEI) * Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Potsdam
Cluster Admin * http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/merlin/ * http://www.aei.mpg.de/