Re: [Condor-users] Evidence of Impact when running "nice" on windows"

> Does anybody out there have any evidence that documents the impact, or
> hopefully lack thereof of running Condor on Windows (or Linux) to
always run
> jobs - even when a user is logged in - but at the lowest priority i.e.
> job_renice_increment set to 19.  The reason I ask is that I have been
> conducting a small trial before hopefully going "run always" with a
number > of
> our users and wondered if anbody had already done such a trial or
would be
> interested in the results of mine...

On our dedicated compute nodes we had set renice increment to 1, which
resulted in the processes being spawned a 'low' by Condor on the remote
machines. This had a huge impact on our job runtimes and throughput as
standard windows processes running at 'normal' were constantly
preempting our Condor-executed threads. When we set renice increment to
0 the processes were spawned at 'normal' priority level by Condor and
ran with far fewer interruptions.

This is nearly the opposite of what you're trying to do but my
experience here suggests you could have jobs spawned at windows priority
level 'low' and your users would notice little impact on their machines.

- Ian