Re: [Condor-users] Executable that produce graphics (e.g. histograms)

> Do you not need
> transfer_input_files  = analysis.C analysis.root
> analysis.root needs to go, but root doesn't since
> the "executable" goes by default
>
> You also need:
>
> arguments = analysis.C
>
>> Log        = analysis.log
>> Output     = analysis.out
>> Error      = analysis.error
>> should_transfer_files = YES
>> when_to_transfer_output = ON_EXIT
>
> these are good, although it would be nice if condor team made these
> consistent. Too many times I have typed in
> should_transfer_output = YES         # warning!
> when_to_transfer_output = ON_EXIT
> or
> should_transfer_files = YES
> when_to_transfer_files = ON_EXIT     # warning!

I've found in the manual on how to transfer the output back:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.8.1/2_5Submitting_Job.html#SECTION00354200000000000000
...but still I got the same error

>> % cat analysis.error
>> condor_exec.exe: ROOTSYS not set. Set it before trying to run
>> condor_exec.exe.

here's my new SUBMIT FILE:
##########################
Universe   = vanilla
#Executable = job.sh  #using the script job.sh
Executable = root

Log        = job.log
Output     = job.out
Error      = job.error

should_transfer_files = YES
when_to_transfer_output = ON_EXIT

#transfer_input_files  = root, analysis.root, analysis.C
transfer_input_file = analysis.root, analysis.C

Arguments = analysis.C, analysis.png

Queue

Those lines with # are the modifications when I use the job.sh script.
And still I got the same error:

%cat analysis.error
root: can't figure out DISPLAY, set it manually

> It looks like "root" needs at least one environment variable setting.
> the "environment" setting can be used for that in your file.
> Check what $ROOTSYS is in your submission machine, and ensure that
> anything it
> refers to is available at the remote end.

I am running this job only on the submmitting machine (the central
manager) turning the other nodes OFF. How do I specify specific
environment settings on the submit file?

>> %cat analysis.error
>> root: can't figure out DISPLAY, set it manually
>
> This sounds like it is trying to write to your XWIN display which
> isn't goign to be much use in a batch environment.

There's a figure display...the graph pops out at the same time it is saved
as analysis.png file. It is okay for me if the graph doesn't show in the
XWIN after the job finishes, what I need is the output file which is
analysis.png. (How can I make this output appear in my working directory?)

Leo