Re: [Condor-users] LAM/MPI and the lamscript

Hi Sara,

I'm not sure if you still need it, but I've put my lamscript at:

http://www.escience.cam.ac.uk/~mcal00/condor/lamscript.asc

It works with /bin/sh or /bin/bash, and I've tested it with LAM v.7.1.3 (you'd want the 7.1.x branch to get the SMP additions), so copy it and rename it as lamscript. Note that you'll need to set your own values for LAMDIR and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (the latter for compiler libs). Also look at the comment half way down the script that begins "Each of my machines has...". From your email it would seem that you just need to set "cpu=2".

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Mark

Sara Campos wrote:
Hello,

I've posted before to the mailing list but I didn't receive any answer. My main doubt was about how to use the lamscript. Every time I tried to use it the job was idle and condor _q -analyze showed "6 match but reject the job for unknown reasons" (I am testing with 3 computers, each with 2 processors). The submit script was something like this:

Executable      = lamscript
Universe = parallel
machine_count = 2
arguments = test_2.sh
output = run.out
error = run.error
log = run.log
+WantParallelSchedulingGroups = True
should_transfer_files = yes
when_to_transfer_output = on_exit
transfer_input_files = test_2.sh
queue

And in the local config files I have something like this:

ParallelSchedulingGroup     = "$(HOSTNAME)"
DedicatedScheduler          = "DedicatedScheduler@$(FULL_HOSTNAME)"
Startd_EXPRS = $(STARTD_EXPRS), DedicatedScheduler, ParallelSchedulingGroup
RANK                        = Scheduler =?= $(DedicatedScheduler)

I was able of running test_2.sh in parallel outside Condor so the executable works and also the lam and mpi are working in the machines.

In the lamscript I changed the LAMDIR and adapted the lamboot command. I didn't add the LAMDIR to the .cshrc file as it is suggested in the script because I don't have a .cshrc file (and sincerely I didn't understand why it was necessary to do that). I don't know if I should have changed the script in other places, if I am doing something else wrong that has nothing to do with the lamscript or if the problem is related to the .cshrc file.

I hope someone can help me with this ... I didn't find much information in the archives.

Thanks in advance

Sara

PS: Bellow you can see my previous message which has some doubts mostly concerned with this problem.

Hello,

We are thinking to use Condor to manage a pool of dedicated
multiprocessor machines. One of our goals is to be able of running
parallel jobs using LAM/MPI and running the job on a single machine
(using the different processors). We have been doing some tests with
only a few machines but some doubts have appeared.

1. We tried to use the lamscript script provided but it didn't work out
probably because the user's login shell is bash. Is it necessary to have
csh as a login shell in order to run the lamscript? If so, how can we
overcome that since all users in our pool use bash? If I am confused
what is exactly meant by this paragraph taken from the manual "For LAM,
there is a similar path setting, but it is called LAMDIR in the lamscript script. In addition, this path must be part of the path set in the user’s .cshrc script. As of this writing, the LAM implementation does not work if the user’s login shell is the Bourne or compatible shell."?

2. Is it imperative to define a dedicated scheduler in order to run
parallel jobs or is this only optional? If so what are the advantages?
What happens for instance when the submission script defines a scheduler
but is submitted from a different machine (that not the dedicated
scheduler)? Finally, how does the central manager orders the jobs from
the different submit machines' queues and is this related with the
convenience of defining a dedicated scheduler?

I hope I haven't made too many boring questions... Thanks in advance.

Sara Campos