Re: [Condor-users] condor-submit -remote

On 6/1/07, Kewley, J (John) <j.kewley@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is there a section in the manual on remote submission (as opposed to
> > Grid submission)? I presume that files can be transferred
> if necessary?
>
> The docs for condor_submit list most parts - note some
> significant limitations:

There is lots on grid universe submission, but very little on
condor_submit -remote submission. It doesn't state that non-default
authentication is required for instance. Nor is there anything specific to say how
the various files get there in the absence of NFS, like do they get
transferred to the submit machine and then on to the execute node.
Are there any firewall implications?

the remote submission is (as I see it)

1) submission machine authenticates with the remote schedd.
2) does a submit much akin to doing a stdin sourced submit but over
the network and submit_on_hold is forced to true as well as
leave_in_queue.
4) Once a job is submitted the usual condor file transfer mechanisms
transfer the executables and input files to the remote machine (get
dropped into dir's within the spool)
5) once this is done the job is released
6) job runs at somepoint in exactly the same way as normal, the
resulting output is transferred back to the spool dir on the remte
schedd. job stays in queue
7) at somepoint the user uses condor_transfer_files to get the files
back and manually deletes the job

I believe there are no additional firewall implications bar the
obvious (submission machine talking to remote schedd. there should be
no need for the submission machine to need any access at all to the
execution machines.

Matt