Re: [Condor-users] enforcing job memory limits?

Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
Hi,

it appears as though a condor job in my flock ehausted the memory on a
user workstation over night ($CondorVersion: 6.8.2 Oct 12 2006 $
$CondorPlatform: X86_64-LINUX_RHEL3 $).  This triggered Linux's OOM
killer which killed several desktop apps and sshd on the system.

this seems a prety serious violation of the do no harm principle and
I'm a bit surprized.

is the a config setting I need to tweak on the workstations?

You could add a clause to your preempt expression, i.e. something like

   PREEMPT = ( whatever was there before ) || (ImageSize > (Memory-20))

This should work at least in the v6.9 series (and maybe in v6.8 as well? cannot recall offhand), since the condor_startd's value for "ImageSize" will be updated several times a minute to the total memory usage of the job.

-Todd

--
Todd Tannenbaum                       University of Wisconsin-Madison
Condor Project Research               Department of Computer Sciences