[Condor-users] excel on condor

Title: excel on condor

et al,

more questions on running excel on condor. I have a sample excel workbook with embedded VBA. the workbook is setup to start running as soon as excel is started. I have created a "bat" file that will start excel and the workbook from the command prompt. I have tested this file from command prompt and it works. the file (jeff.bat) looks like this; excel sdk2.xls

my submit file looks like this;
universe = vanilla
executable = jeff.bat
getenv = true;
transfer_executable = true
error = c:\sdk2.err
log = c:\sdk2.log
should_transfer_files = yes
when_to_transfer_output = on_exit
transfer_input_files = sdk2.xls
queue

when I condor_submit this file, the job gets started on a selected machine. when I login on that machine I see the following;

- under task manager I see that excel.exe has started but is not eating up any cpu time.
- under c:\condor\execute\dir_###, I see a _condor_stderr file, the sdk2.xls and a condor_exec.bat (which is a copy of the jeff.bat file).

so… it looks like my jeff.bat is being transferred, the workbook sdk2.xls is being transferred, excel is starting up on the remote machine, but… it is not executing the sdk2.xls file. if I try double clicking on the condor_exec.bat file is starts the workbook just fine.

I don't understand why the jeff.bat (condor_exec.bat) is not being properly executed, it looks it is running the first word (excel) in the bat file and not the argument (sdk2.xls).

any words of wisdom on this?

Jeff Tkacheff
MAA Branch, Operations Analysis Division, MCCDC
v: 703 784 0429 DSN 278
f: 703 784 3547
e: jeffrey.tkacheff@xxxxxxxx

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)