Re: [Condor-users] Condor for Solaris 10?

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 14:50:25 Steve Barnet wrote:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been suggested to purchase one (or more) Sun X4500 as checkpoint
> > servers, but obviously there's no support for Solaris 10 (and Solaris
> > support only for the SPARC platform)... Are there intentions to provide a
> > checkpoint server for Solaris 10_x86 ?
>
> It looks as though those machines should run Linux. Sun's official party
> line on linux is usually Redhat and SuSE, but as far as I've been able
> to tell, they're not usually doing anything so funky that other distros
> won't work. So unless there's a particular reason to run Solaris it
> seems like you should be able to drop Linux on these and be on your way.

We're running condor on fedora on X4100 and X4200. With 4500 you may have a
problem with SATA controller -- dunno if the driver's open-source and
included in "free" distros -- but it's downloadable from Sun's website.

Dimitri
--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin