[Condor-users] reducing job start time

list,

I am wondering if there are ways to improving the job start time (the
time between submit and actual startup).
My plan is to use condor to run queue-processors, which are submitted by
a manager that makes sure we keep up with the queue. The manager also
runs in the cluster.

Because we want to keep queue processing times low, a worker normally
only works on a few queue items.
At the moment this leads to an average runtime of 2 seconds for a
worker.
This makes anticipating and scheduling workers for the manager harder
because the average time from submit to running a worker is about 17
seconds.

I was wondering if the job start time could be reduced even more?
I already lowered the NEGOTIATER_INTERVAL to 15 seconds and tried
running condor_reschedule after a submit.
The cluster will comprise of about 20 Quad-core nodes, but any solutions
should also scale to a tenfold of this.

With regards,

Jos Houtman
System administrator Hyves.nl