[Condor-users] question on running VMs

Hello,

I have installed a TTY Linux VM on my laptop and am using VMWare Server. I
added a line in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to run the job that I want run
when the vm is submitted to our Condor pool. However, I would also need a
line to shutdown the vm, and this could make it impossible afterward to be
able to fully boot the virtual machine to the point that I could login.
This could prevent me from being able to edit any files on the vm. I could
access the file in such a way that the prompt reads

root@(none)

but everything is read only in this mode.

Is there a way to make sure that if I add a shutdown command in the
rc.local file that I would be able to reverse that?

Furthermore, is there a better way to proceed than by embedding the
contents of the job in the rc.local file? Any help would be much
appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Brian C. Dandurand
Clemson University