Re: [Condor-users] question on running VMs

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Brian Dandurand <bdandur@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have installed a TTY Linux VM on my laptop and am using VMWare Server. I
added a line in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to run the job that I want run
when the vm is submitted to our Condor pool. However, I would also need a
line to shutdown the vm, and this could make it impossible afterward to be
able to fully boot the virtual machine to the point that I could login.
This could prevent me from being able to edit any files on the vm. I could
access the file in such a way that the prompt reads

root@(none)

but everything is read only in this mode.

Is there a way to make sure that if I add a shutdown command in the
rc.local file that I would be able to reverse that?

Sorry, I don't understand your problem.
Do you want to keep your VM booting and shutdown it after logging into the VM?

I guess you used just shutdown command in TTY linux, In some Linux distributions,  ( I am not sure about TTY Linux ), shutdown command changes running mode to single mode. That is, it doesn't power off VM. You need to check if your shutdown command changes just running mode to single mode or really powers off the VM.

Furthermore, is there a better way to proceed than by embedding the
contents of the job in the rc.local file?

You could use input cdrom technique.  In your submit description file, you could add the line
vm_cdrom_files = file1, file2, ...
When a VM job is submitted to Condor with this line, you can look at the files in CDROM.
For your case, inside your tty Linux, you could see these files in CDROM device. Maybe you need to add mount command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local or you need to modify /etc/fstab for automounting..

check out:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.0/condor_submit.html#56004

Best,
Jaeyoung