Re: [Condor-users] condor_submit feature request

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:27:07AM -0500, R. Kent Wenger wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
>
> > And BTW, what also would be very useful: a user-imposed limit on
> > simultaneously
> > running jobs from the same cluster ("I want to be nice to my
> > colleagues, n slots
> > are enough even if there are more available - because I know other's
> > work is
> > more important and I hate preemption")
>
> You can essentially do this with DAGMan.  Just make a DAG file with no
> dependencies, and use the -maxjobs or -maxidle throttles.  Note that for
> -maxjobs, each cluster counts as one job, while for -maxidle each
> individual job within a cluster counts as one job.  (Yes, we know these
> should be changed to be consistent.)

Even more powerful is the recent addition to DAGMan of the
CATEGORY and MAXJOBS key words to limit arbitrarily defined
sub-clusters of jobs within a large workflow.

Thanks.

--
Stuart Anderson  anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/~anderson