Re: [Condor-users] Limiting number of concurrently running jobsfrom a cluster.

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Ian Chesal wrote:

I was going to answer with "use DAGMan" as well but then I got to
reading. Specifically:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.0/3_3Configuration.html#15357

and

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.0/2_10DAGMan_Applications.html#S
ECTION003102900000000000000

Both those make it sound like DAGMan *tries* but can't actually limit
things to specifically N number of jobs.

Did I read that right?

Yes, DAGMan can only throttle things at the cluster level (because throttling DAGMan just throttles the rate of condor_submits -- DAGMan
doesn't put jobs on hold or anything once they get into the queue).

If the original user can split their clusters up and just have one
job per cluster they could throttle things with DAGMan; otherwise DAGMan won't help.

Kent Wenger
Condor Team