[Condor-users] configuring an SMP machine for a variety of jobs...

Hi all,

I'm configuring an SMP machine for a variety of applications. Ideally, I want it to be able to:

- serve as an interactive vis station
- allow users to run multithreaded jobs
- allow single-processor serial jobs

I've been looking at this thread: https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/archive/condor-users/2006-November/msg00068.shtml The suggestion there is that one should set up "virtual machines" to allow all combinations of cpus etc. However, Condor has built-in Dedicated Scheduler functionality, which will also allow for preemption (if this isn't explicitly excluded). The dedicated scheduler mechanism automatically does resource allocation checking and reservation. Is there some obvious reason I'm not accounting for to use the set-up outlined in the thread I linked above over the dedicated scheduler? Thanks!

Rok