Re: [Condor-users] condor performance on quad core vs dual core machines

For example one of the examined DAGs has 140 jobs, which each takes around 50 sec to complete and generates a 50MB output in average. And the width of DAG (its maximum parallelism) is 18. So I think as you said it is not compute intensive enough to show me better results on the 8 core box!

Thanks,
Maryam

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Ian Chesal <ICHESAL@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is your application CPU bound or does it use other resources (disk, memory, network)? Sounds like it's not CPU bound. If your application is not CPU bound you're going to see poorer performance on a box with higher density cores running a job per core because there's more contention for disk and memory and network resources. On your dual core box you have at most two threads active vyying for these resources. On your 8 core box you have 8 threads, same number of disks and memory interfaces.

- Ian

From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Maryam Khademi
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 10:32 PM
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: [Condor-users] condor performance on quad core vs dual core machines

Hi,

I have a performance question. Currently, I am using two clusters to execute my DAGs on.

On the first cluster, each machine has a two dual core CPU, whilst a machine on the second cluster has a two quad core CPU.

I run the same DAG on each cluster while there are equal number of cores available on both. For example, 8 unclaimed cores (2 machines) on cluster #1 and 8 unclaimed cores (1 machine) on cluster #2.

Interestingly, almost always I got better result on the dual core machines cluster!

These are the rest of particulars:

Cluster #1:

2 Dual Core
CPU: Xeon 3GHz
RAM:  4GB
OS: Linux
Condor Version: 6.8.0
Platform: X86_64-LINUX_RHEL3
Globus version: 4.0.4

Cluster #2:

2 Quad Core
CPU: Xeon 3GHz
RAM:  4GB
OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1
OCS Version: Kusu 5 (build 1619)
Condor-version: 7.0.4
condor-platform: X86_64-LINUX_RHEL5
Globus version: 4.2.1

Thanks,
Maryam

P.S. All the above said are with the assumption that condor uses multi cores not single core in case of their availability.

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.