Re: [Condor-users] Condor 7.2.0 released!

Hi Zach,
    I tried to find more information in the version 7.2.0 release notes on the following:

"Additionally, more scalability improvements were made, better error propagation and debugging output have been added "

 but couldn't see anything directly related to scalability.

Specifically I am looking for any enhancements in 7.2.0 that may help with a "shadow exception" problem I asked about in October:

Shadow exception!
        JobDisconnectedEvent::writeEvent() called without startd_addr

(Reading through the documentation once more and seeing about file sizes larger than 2 GB not supported, what type of error message might I see if the job is violating that condition?)

The shadow exception issue pertains to parallel universe job submissions using a finite element software package called ABAQUS using MPI. Can you provide anymore detail or a pointer to where I could find more on scalability enhancements?

Thank you for any help you can offer. Happy New Year,

Brandon

Zachary Miller wrote:
The Condor Team is pleased to announce the first release of our new stable
series, 7.2.0.  This new stable release contains all of the new features
introduced in the 7.1.X development series but has been tested much more
thoroughly in more configurations and has been subjected to both runtime and
static analysis tools, resulting in numerous bug fixes.

The 7.2.0 binaries and source code can be found on our Downloads page:
  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/downloads-v2/download.pl

Notable new features compared to the previous stable series (7.0.X) include
Work Fetching using job hooks, DAG Splicing, the JobRouter, support for running
on Amazon EC2 resources, Concurrency Limits for managing software licenses, WS
GRAM support in Globus, and preliminary support for Green Computing and Dynamic
Startd Provisioning.

Additionally, more scalability improvements were made, better error propagation
and debugging output have been added, and the support for the VMware VM job
universe is much improved.

We believe 7.2.0 is wire-compatible with all 7.0.X releases, meaning that you
can mix versions of Condor within a single pool (although not within a single
computer).  However, we do not test this regularly and recommend using the
same series when possible.

Since this is a stable series, only bug fixes and ports to new platforms will
be added in 7.2.X.  All new features and functionality will go into the soon-
to-be-released 7.3.X development series.

Thank you for your interest in Condor.  As always, if you have any problems
with the downloading, installation, or use of Condor, please contact us at
condor-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx for help.

The Condor Team