From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Todd Tannenbaum
Sent: 19 February 2008 22:23
To: Condor-Users Mail List
Subject: Re: [Condor-users] grid universe == globus universe?

Wayne Betts wrote:
> While troubleshooting an unrelated(?) issue I noticed my colleague's
use
> of "universe = globus" where I was using "universe = grid" in our
> respective condor-G submit files (while using condor versions 6.8.6
and
> 7.0.0 on a couple of submit nodes.)
>
> I see that the 'globus' universe was last listed in the Condor 6.6
> manual, and is no longer in the list of supported universes (as of the

> V6.8 manual), apparently replaced by the grid universe.
>
>  From the release notes of Condor v. 6.7.19, I found:
>
> "The *globus* universe [... is] retired. [...] For the newer syntax of

> *grid* universe jobs, please see section 5.3

<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.8/5_3Grid_Universe.html#sec:Gri
dUniverse>
> on the *grid* universe, as well as the /condor_ submit/ manual page
[...].

> Is "universe = globus" still supported in Condor-G submit files in
> Condor versions 6.8 and 7.0?   If so, is it identical to "universe =
> grid"?  I saw something at one point that made me think perhaps the
jobs
> submitted with universe = globus were limited to only the gt2
grid_type.

> They both seem to work with gt2 and wind up with "JobUniverse = 9" in
> the ClassAds for the job, but I'm wondering if they really are
identical
> (as they seem to be in our limited testing.)
>
> Anyway, if I haven't gone too far afield so far, is there some point
in
> the release cycle when "universe = globus" will no longer be
recognized?

For now, using "universe=globus" in your submit file is equivalent to
doing universe = grid with the gt2 grid_type.   But this backwards
compatibility 'feature' may certainly go away, as doing
"universe=globus" has been deprecated.  Best to move over to using the
universe=grid syntax as soon as convenient.

thanks,
Todd