[Condor-users] 7.0.3 Debian 4 dynamic clipped?

I downloaded condor-7.0.3-linux-x86-debian40-dynamic.tar.gz for installation under Ubuntu 8.x. The condor_compile script consists of:

______________________________

cat <<!

This version of Condor does not support checkpointing and remote
system calls on this platform.  You may only submit "vanilla" jobs.
Therefore, you do not need to use condor_compile.  In fact,
condor_compile can't work, since there are no libraries to re-link
your job with.  Please see the Condor Manual for details, which can be
found at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual.

!

Is this intended? Should I download a different version to be able to condor_compile? Apologies if I missed an announcement to that effect, but I didn't see it in the changelogs nor on the list.

-- dave