[Condor-users] Jobs being preempted with default rank settings

Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone's encountered problems with jobs of equal rank preempting eachother.

Our condor pool is running mostly the default configuration files. We don't have RANK set on our execute nodes (it's commented out by default)

The behavior I'm noticing is that once we have enough jobs to match multiple jobs to one node, existing running jobs are being preempted by new jobs. The odd thing is that we haven't set any preferences - these jobs are both from internal lab users, and we have all the default settinings.

This is in the StartLog of the execute node that evicted a job:

7/17 14:33:27 slot2: match_info called
7/17 14:33:29 slot2: Preempting claim has correct ClaimId.
7/17 14:33:29 slot2: New claim has sufficient rank, preempting current claim.
7/17 14:33:29 slot2: State change: preempting claim based on user priority
7/17 14:33:29 slot2: State change: claim retirement ended/expired
7/17 14:33:29 slot2: Changing state and activity: Claimed/Busy -> Preempting/Vacating

Does anyone know what might be going on? Do long-running jobs by default become "evictable" after a certain timeframe?

We're running in vanilla, so evictions really suck since everything has to start over...

David