for this fix? It mentions the next release, but I just tried 7.0.4 on Vista and get the same behavior. (Although for Vista you need to enable the "Interactive Services Detection" service in order to gain access to the "visible desktop").

Thanks,
Bob Mortensen

On Jun 19, 2008, at 8:06 AM, Ben Burnett wrote:

Hi  Kristian:

-----Original Message-----
From: condor-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:condor-users-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Desjardins, Kristian
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:23 AM
To: condor-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Condor-users] Windows 2000 / Visible Desktop

I am having problems with Windows 2000 Professional and the
"USE_VISIBLE_DESKTOP" option.  I have tried condor 6.8.8, 7.0.1 and
7.1.0 and they all behave the same.

On a freshly booted system, I will see the condor_starter process and
all sub processes use the Windows Station handle of winsta0 and the
application is visible.  After a number of jobs, the processes will
have
a separate session handles like "WindowsStation-XXX-XXX" and I will
received the error:

6/18 14:47:11 Create_Process: Unable to use visible desktop

I believe I have tracked down the problem to the
"setuserobjectsecurity"
system call which returns the ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_QUOTA error code.
Please
see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185292 It looks like ACE's may not
be free'd at some point and I don't know how to fix the problem.

Yes, we have been made aware of this bug and are working on a fix for
the next release.  As you guessed, we are not properly releasing old
sessions from the desktops list of permitted users. We never anticipated users running with the option turned on all the time, it was intended for debugging purposes, but it appears that more and more people are using it
in production.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Also, Condor 7.0.2 does not even start on windows 2000 pro. I get the
following error:

6/17 09:44:45 ERROR "Unexpected performance counter size for working
set: 4 (expected 8)" at line 2878 in file
..\src\condor_procapi\procapi.C

That's quite odd, is this still a fresh Win2K box? Does it have all the
Service packs applied?  Have the performance counters been disabled or
Otherwise changed?

Regards,
-B

btw, on a personal note, what is my Government using Condor for? (We can
take this part offline, since it's completely off topic for the list)