Re: [Condor-users] Submitting MPI JOb

(inline)

txcom2003@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I have a question about MPI job.
When I submitted MPI job, the change between Idle state to Running State
took long time (about 5 to 10 minutes). Condor seems need some time to
get
the dedicated resource being claimed.

But other condition happen, when I issued command condor_hold and
condor_release, a few second after that, job state can change quickly.

Does anyone know why this happen ?
The negotiation cycle for Condor happens periodically, default is every
5 minutes.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v7.1/3_3Configuration.html#10310

It's possible that it took more than one negotiation cycle for the
Schedd to get enough claims to start your job.

If your question is why did your job start up quickly the second time,
it is possible the Schedd still had those claims to start your job up
quickly after the hold+release.

No, I submitted the second job when Schedd has release those claims and
the status of all machine was UNCLAIMED. So the condition is same as the
first job.

Then I'd say you were unlucky in where you hit the negotiation cycle the first time around. You can verify why by looking at the Schedd log. It will tell you when it's working with the negotiator.

Best,

matt

If your question is why does your job go on Hold or become Idle after
being release quickly, it's because the Schedd can make those changes
directly without having to rely on other parts of the system.

Best,

matt