Re: [Condor-users] Condor User Priorities

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the reply. Ok here I provide you more specific scenario.

For your information, the below case has been performed and the scenario
is as follows:
- I have only 1 machine (local machine).

Then I have submitted a simple job to my local machine.

According to the Condor manual page, the RUP formula is as follows:

3.4.4 Priority Calculation

The RUP of a user u at time t, pi_r(u,t), is calculated every time
interval delta t using the formula

	pi_r(u,t) = beta * pi(u,t-delta t) + (1-beta) * rho(u,t)

where rho(u,t) is the number of resources used by user u at time t, and
beta=0.5^(delta t/h). h is the half life period set by PRIORITY_HALFLIFE
.

The EUP of user u at time t, pi_e(u,t) is calculated by

	pi_e(u,t) = pi_r(u,t) * f(u,t)

where f(u,t) is the priority boost factor for user u at time t.

Fyi, to make it easier for me to monitor the user priorities, I have
configured the PRIORITY_HALFLIFE = 600 (10 minutes).

Here I attach the accountantnew.log file from Condor:

# Condor Accountantnew.log File
103 Customer.21004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Priority 0.500000
105
103 Customer.21004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ResourcesUsed 1
103 Customer.21004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx UnchargedTime 0
101 Resource.vm1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@<172.17.79.112:1076> * *
103 Resource.vm1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@<172.17.79.112:1076> RemoteUser
"21004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
103 Resource.vm1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@<172.17.79.112:1076> StartTime
1214440007
106
103 Accountant. LastUpdateTime 1214440307
105
103 Customer.21004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Priority 0.646447
103 Customer.21004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx AccumulatedUsage 900.000000
103 Customer.21004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx LastUsageTime 1214440307
103 Customer.21004@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx UnchargedTime 0

According to the above log file, the Priority value before the job has
been submitted is 0.5 and on the next 10 minutes, Condor has updated to
the new value = 0.646447.

Can u guide me how the priority value has been calculated according to
the RUP formula?

This is my own understanding on the RUP formula and the result I got is
as follows:

RUP -> pi_r(u,t) = beta * pi(u,t-delta t) + (1-beta) * rho(u,t) Where

Delta t = t2-t1 = 1200 - 600 = 600 (Is this correct?) H = 600 Beta =
0.5^(delta t/h) = 0.5^(600/600) = 0.5^1 = 0.5 pi(u,t-delta t) = The
priority value in the previous timeframe. I believe the value is 0.5 (Is
this also correct?)
rho(u,t) = resource used during time t = 1

RUP -> pi_r(u,t) = 0.5 * 0.5 + (1-0.5) * 1 = 0.25 + 0.5 = 0.75

According to the final calculation, I am supposed to get the Priority
value = 0.646447 (based on the log file) instead of 0.75 (my own
calculation).
Please guide and correct me on the calculation that I have been made on
the RUP.

Any helps from you guys are really appreciated!

Thanks.

Regards,
Noorisyam Hamid