Re: [Condor-users] Understanding Credd

I am running into a similar situation and I guess I'm just confused on
the logic when CREDD should be used.

1) If I want to submit from Linux->Windows do i need to use credd?
2) If 1 is "YES" then do I HAVE to run the credd server on a windows computer?
3) Can I run a Linux based CREDD server to store the Windows domain credentials?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Levi Junkert

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 8:48 PM, Todd Tannenbaum <tannenba@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chip Collier wrote:
>> Something I failed to mention here is that if I submit a job from linux
>> (without attempting to use Credd), then it runs fine as the submitting
>> user. This is actually only a problem with jobs which are submitted from
>> windows (which is in fact the only way they'll hit the pool
>> unfortunately), with or without attempting to use credd.
>>

> Chip -
>
> I guess I am confused about what you are trying to do...
>
> Do you want:
> a) submit jobs from windows that will run on linux machines
> b) submit jobs from windows that will run on windows machines
> c) both a and b
>
> In all cases you want the job to run as the user who submitted the job,
> correct?
>
> If the answer is (a), you don't need the credd - the condor_credd is
> strictly something to help Windows execute machines run jobs as the
> submitting user.  However, you do need a way to know that login A on
> windows is the same person as login B on linux.  Does A = B ?  In other
> words, is user "fred" on Windows have a login name of "fred" on your
> linux machines?  Or is the mapping not that simple?
>
> If the answer is (b), you then indeed need the credd.
>
> If the answer is (c), you then need the credd for part (b).
>
> I can try to help more once you clarify what you are trying to do ....
>
> thanks,
> Todd

> The archives can be found at:

Levi D. Junkert

Command and Data Handling
Space Science and Engineering Lab (SSEL)

Physics Department
Montana State University
264 EPS Building
Bozeman MT, 59717