Re: [Condor-users] Condor-G Features

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
timm@xxxxxxxx  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Assistant Group Leader.

On Tue, 13 May 2008, txcom2003@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello There ....

I have installed Condor-G which bundled with condor 7.0.1 and now it can
submit job to Globus.
I have some question According to two condor-G features : check point and
matchmaking.

1. Condor-G doesn't support check point.
When Condor-G submit to Globus, condor-G can submit job type "Condor"
which   use "Standard Universe". And "Standard universe" supports "Check
point". So I think condor-G also support Check point but not directly
(when we use condor as local scheduler). Is that true ?

I have heard of people who have done this--i.e. override the universe
type that is submitted on the remote end so it is standard rather
than vanilla, which is the default.  I have never done it myself.
And at best you could only checkpoint/restart on the remote end, if
they happen to be running a checkpoint server, which many grid sites don't. Doesn't help if the whole remote globus resource is down.

2. Condor-G doesn't support Matchmaking
In manual, condor not support matchmaking but can use Glide-In mechanism
to run condor daemons (startd) on remote resource, so matchmaking can be
done in this way. Is there any other mechanism now that can be used beside
Glide-In (in currently version of condor-G) ?

There is condor-G matchmaking, in
which instead of saying

GridResource=="gt2 mygatekeeper.com/jobmanager-condor"

you say

GridResource==$$(GridResource)

But if you do that, you have to somehow produce a list of
condor Classads that describe the clusters.  That is not included
with Condor. Various grids have come up with their own.

Steve Timm

Thanks.