[Condor-users] java nodes not appearing

I'm having a problem with Java nodes not appearing.  I have followed the directions in the manual and what I found in the mailing list, to no avail.

We have various machines set up with Java installed and working, but which do not show up in condor_status -java.  Two of the machines are:

64-bit 8-core Pogo linux box with 16GB of RAM.

32-bit Windows XP box with 2GB of RAM.

Both running condor 7.0.1

The machines we have running with <2GB of RAM show up in condor_status -java fine, so I first tried the workaround in the manual, and also the variant of that workaround found in the mailing list:

From manual:

JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT =

JAVA_EXTRA_ARGUMENTS = -Xmx768M

Other variant from mailing list

JAVA_MAXHEAP_ARGUMENT = -Xmx

JAVA_EXTRA_ARGUMENTS = -Xmx768M

Both with the same results--it does not show up in condor_status -java.

I also tried the test listed in the manual of running the starter directly using -classad.  It reports:

CondorVersion = "$CondorVersion: 7.0.1 Feb 26 2008 BuildID: 76180 $"

IsDaemonCore = True

HasFileTransfer = True

HasPerFileEncryption = True

HasReconnect = True

HasMPI = True

HasTDP = True

HasJobDeferral = True

HasJICLocalConfig = True

HasJICLocalStdin = True

JavaVendor = "Sun Microsystems Inc."

JavaVersion = "1.6.0_06"

JavaMFlops = 372.764801

HasJava = True

HasVM = True

However, when I run condor_status -l pogo1 I see nothing about JAVA anywhere in the output.

Does this mean that somehow the central manager doesn't have the right information from the startd?  After all if condor_starter -classad is really reporting what the machine is reporting to the central manager, then I should think that all that Java stuff should be in there.

I've also set the debug level to D_FULLDEBUG on the starter, restarted condor, and I saw nothing in the log whatsoever that pertained to Java at all.  Certainly nothing that was a meaningful error message.

Any ideas?  I'm stuck.

Michael