Re: [Condor-users] wake-on-lan / "green" computing environments query

On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:44 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:
You could get around this by using suspend-to-RAM or suspend-to-disk
instead of actually shutting the machine down.  There's support for
that in Condor already, but it won't work in my case because my
machines won't respond to wake-on-LAN when they're hibernating, only
when they're off.

Just a further note on this that might be helpful to other people -- I found out today that this can be changed by writing the correct incantation to /proc/acpi/wakeup. The contents of that file show what sleep states various devices can wake the machine up from. The correct device node to use depends on the machine; on mine it's "POGB", but on others it might be "LAN0" or something else. I figured it out through trial-and-error, enabling nodes until one of them caused WOL to start working.

I added this to /etc/rc.local:
echo "POGB S4 enabled" >/proc/acpi/wakeup

Which shows up thusly:
$ cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device	Sleep state	Status
PCI1	   4		disabled
USB0	   1		disabled
USB1	   1		disabled
PS2K	   4		disabled
PS2M	   4		disabled
UAR1	   4		disabled
UAR2	   4		disabled
POGA	   4		disabled
POGB	   4		 enabled
PWRB	   4		* enabled

Now I can successfully wake the machine from hibernation with a WOL "magic packet."

Next up is setting Condor up to hibernate the machine. Once I have that working it should just be a matter of writing a wakeup script to tie it all together.

--

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics