Re: [Condor-users] Windows wake-on-lan / "green" computing environments query

On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:44 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:

On Mar 31, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Rob wrote:
[ A practical problem here: immediately after start-up, a PC is in
Owner state ]
[ and thus it takes a while before it becomes available for running
jobs.]

You could get around this by using suspend-to-RAM or suspend-to-disk
instead of actually shutting the machine down.

OK, I should have tested it before making this suggestion.

After trying it I've found that it doesn't actually work this way, at least not on my two-way SMP boxes. When the machine un-suspends, it's in Owner status on BOTH slots. A machine that has just booted is only in Owner status on Slot 1, so suspend-to-disk is actually worse than just shutting the machine down completely.

--

David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics